Cooking Day 8: Mexican Chocolate Cake

Well, we took another break yesterday and tonight from cooking dinner, but I still wanted to post something tonight. Since Tony has been out of work, he has been wanting more sweets, so we decided to do one of his favorite desserts, Mexican Chocolate Cake. This is another Pampered Chef recipe...did I mention how much I love Pampered Chef?

This is the cake that Tony requests anytime he can, birthdays, Easter, Thanksgiving, Tuesday. As usual, I made some modifications to personalize it to fit our cravings for the day.

This recipe is done in a bundt (in my head I'm saying boont...thanks to My Big Fat Greek Wedding) pan. Pampered Chef calls theirs a Stoneware Fluted Pan. We use a napkin to run the pan down with vegetable oil and make sure all the creases are covered. The last thing you want is a broken bbbboont.

In a mixing bowl whisk together the sour cream and eggs and then the almonds, mini chocolate chips, cinnamon and cake mix. Be aware, this is not a thin batter. It is a very thick batter, don't worry, this is a really light cake. It will be great. The recipe tells you to microwave it, but listen, Linda...I don't like microwaving cakes. I bake mine using the alternate tips, 325 degrees for 50 minutes.



While the cake is in the oven, we had some strawberries in the fridge that needed to be eaten. It was about a cup of them, once we got them all chopped up. I put them in a saucepan for with about a tablespoon of sugar, a dash of almond extract and a pinch of salt and just let them cook down on medium heat for about 10 minutes.

  


Once the cake is done, bring it out and let it cool before you flip it. While you wait for it to cool now you can make the whipped cream. Now...let me tell you...I don't usually measure stuff. I mentioned this before, I go by eye most of the time. When I am baking, I don't do that as much, but when it's whipped cream...its really hard to mess up. So, about a cup of heavy whipping cream, about a 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, a dash of cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and...are you ready for this...a little splash of bourbon. Not too much...just a bit.

 

Don't whip it too long. You want to mix it slow until the sugar is combined, then on high until you can see the cream is whipped just thick enough to start seeing the whisk's trail in the cream. If you go too long, you will have bourbon cinnamon butter, which is not a bad thing, but not what we are looking for. Do you see how thick that is on my finger? That was all for you...ok, it was so I got to eat it. Do you see the things I will do just for you all? I am so considerate, right? Oh ya...back to the dish.

Congratulations, you now have a bourbon cinnamon whipped cream. The cake should now be cooled and ready to serve. When the cake comes out of the oven, it will be kind of rounded, do you that on the fist picture below? When it is cooled and ready, you will see it flatten a bit and it will pull away from the sides pretty easily. Once your cake is cooled, flip it onto a plate, cut and serve.


 


           
I really hope you all have been enjoying our posts. I have exciting news coming up, but I don't want to share it yet. Also, Wes's birthday is on Monday, so be sure to keep reading to see what is coming up in the coming week. In the meantime, enjoy the pictures of our finished product, I know my boys enjoyed it, there is not much left now.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Return, Tradition, and Family

Cooking Day 1: The Beginning & Farfalle Alfredo with Breaded Chicken

Cooking Day 10: Meat and Taters