Cooking Day 16: Grill Night!

Grill Night!!!

I don't call it BBQ. My dad BBQed. He had his long-time pit. All charcoal and wood, he didn't use gas unless he was in a hurry. He knew low and slow was the way to BBQ. So I grill. Mine is gas, I cannot go low and slow, I grill.

We started with some beef finger ribs and skirt steak. Tony scored and trimmed the ribs before seasoning them with salt and pepper and Adams Cowboy Rub. Once we seasoned both sides and rubbed it all in we put the ribs in a roasting pan into the oven at 325-degrees for an hour and a half. Remove them from the oven and on both sides, we brushed them with a Fig Mustard sauce. We held it out until we were ready to start cooking on the grill.



While the ribs were in the oven, we marinated the skirt steak. To do this we used salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and as my dad always used Italian dressing. This sat in the fridge for about 3 hours.



Right before we were ready to start moving the meat to the grill, I started on the roasted veggies. In a small bowl, I tossed in halved baby carrots, red onion slices, chopped garlic, and cherry tomatoes. To that, I added two tablespoons of olive oil, salt, pepper, and Herbs de Provence. I put that on a sheet pan covered in foil and put it into the oven at 375-degrees for 20 minutes until the carrots are tender.

I also made a salad, because sometimes, I just crave salads all the time! Since Aidan liked the apple salad from steak night, I made a similar one. I used romaine, green apple, shredded cheddar, cherries, almonds, and crispy onions. The dressing we used was a cilantro ranch we made a few days before.DEEEEEElicous once again.



Then came the meat. Tony went out and turned on the grill and got it ready for the meat. Since the ribs were cooked most of the way in the oven, he put them on over high heat and the skirt steak went over a lower heat. Once the ribs got the caramelization we were looking for, we brushed it down one more time with the fig mustard sauce. We also brushed the skirt steak with BBQ sauce.



We set it all up on the table and got so full, but not too full for dessert. Hee Hee Hee

So for dessert, I made Mexican Hot Chocolate for the marshmallows I made last week. I took about 4 cups of whole milk, half a bar of Mexican chocolate, a splash of Mexican vanilla, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder. Whisk while it heats and keep an eye on it so it does not bubble over. That is not a mess you want to clean. Top it however you like, we used the homemade marshmallows and OMG was it delicious! I mean, crazy deelish. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Return, Tradition, and Family

Cooking Day 1: The Beginning & Farfalle Alfredo with Breaded Chicken

Cooking Day 10: Meat and Taters