Cooking Day 10: Meat and Taters

Y'all, I cannot believe we are on Day 10! I really thought I would be done with this after Day 5! Well, tonight, Tony and I have some big news. We have not really told many people because we are kinda shy about this stuff. This afternoon, we were joined in the kitchen with a reporter from the Corpus Christi Caller-Times! I KNOW! We are gonna be Corpitos famous. Seriously though, this was not something we expected to come from it and so we are grateful and humbled by their interest.


That is Tony being interviewed. I didn't get her permission to post this picture, so I covered her up, but I still made her pretty.

Because tonight's dinner was pretty special, Tony and I racked our brains trying to come up with a menu that fit the evening. So tonight we started with an Apple and Blue Cheese Salad, and Grilled Steaks and a Golden Potato Cake. Ya, I know...we kinda bougie.

Now, because we were more focused on preparing the meal, I didn't take many pictures, but when the article posts, I will be sure to include the link back here so you can see her pictures.

We did some prep ahead of time, well I should say Tony did. I was working at my laptop.

Tony started by par-cooking the bacon. We anticipated the potato dish to finish pretty quickly so we wanted to be sure that the bacon got cooked all the way through. Next, he washed the gold potatoes and used our mandoline to slice them really thin and put them in a bowl and then he chopped up garlic and onion and put them aside in prep bowls.

We bought two kinds of steaks, 2 Ribeyes (my faves) and 2 NY Strips. He went ahead bought them out onto the counter to bring them to room temp.

Once I closed my laptop, I started prepping the salad...that's when I realized that HEB forgot my blue cheese crumbles in my curbside order. Luckily, Wes was out taking my niece to work, so I had him pick some up on his way back. As I washed the romaine...

PSA...ALWAYS WASH YOUR PRODUCE!!!

I sliced up the romaine lettuce after washing it. The reporter came in then so I started putting it all together. I put it all into a serving bowl, added about a half cup of walnuts, a half cup of dried cherries. I matchsticked two small Granny Smith apples and spread them over the salad and topped it all with blue cheese crumbles. Then a little fresh ground sea salt and black pepper and the salad was done. Then I made the vinegarette. Three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of dijon, one tablespoon of honey, salt and pepper and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Mix together everything but the olive oil. Once mixed slowly drizzle in the oil while continuing to whisk. Dress the salad at the table so the salad does not get too soggy.



Tony began to assemble the Golden Potato Cake. We preheated my pie plate at 400 degrees then brought it out and in concentric circles, put down one layer of potatoes, melted butter, salt and pepper, chopped garlic, chopped onion, the par-cooked bacon, and shredded cheese. That was one layer, we did that about 4 or 5 more times. This went into the same 400-degree oven for about 15 minutes.



While I finished assembling the potatoes, Tony went outside to the grill to put on the steaks. Again, we had the grill heating up before the reporter got here, so it was really hot by the time we got ready to put the steaks on. He seasoned them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. That's it and that's all and cooked (most of) them up to a perfect medium-rare (Wes likes a little more doneness).



Another delicious team effort meal. Keep your eye out on caller.com for our story and let us know if COVID has you doing more cooking or if you are being brave and trying new things.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Return, Tradition, and Family

Cooking Day 1: The Beginning & Farfalle Alfredo with Breaded Chicken