Cooking Day 11: Lemon Bars

Tonight, we all had a craving for pizza, so because we decided this so late, it was Dominos to the rescue! If you are using any kind of delivery service, please remember to tip your driver!

Tony was having a sweets craving so we ended up in the kitchen anyway. We discussed many things, but didn't have this or didn't have that. What I DID have everything for was my lemon bars!

So, if you have not had my lemon bars (and you like lemon desserts) then you are truly missing out. This is one recipe that I am really proud of because it really is that good. I started with a few different online recipes and tweaked them all until I came out with this one that I think is the best. I know it's the best, because the first time I made them this way, I had to make two pans work in one weekend because my mom, dad, Wes, and sons ate the first batch like it was the last food on earth. Seriously, I had to make another pan that night for the next day. OH YA, and then my mom said, "I have a church meeting Sunday, can you make me another pan? To be on the safe side, you better make two." I completely forgot about that! So I actually made four pans in one weekend. UGH. The things I will do for a little praise!

So, here is my process for my Lemon Bars.

Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. Use enough so that the paper is folded over the sides of the pan, just enough to hold on to. Preheat your oven to 350-degrees.

In a mixing bowl, I use my stand mixer, beat two sticks (1 cup) of softened butter. And I mean butter, not margarine. I mean, come on, let's be civilized here. Once that is all nice and beaten, add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 2 cups of flour, a pinch of salt (I use Fleur de Sal), and the zest of one whole lemon. Mix that together for about 3 minutes, until it all comes together. It is going to feel very soft.

 


You will need to spread that dough on the parchment, you can do it outside of the pan or inside of it, whatever is easiest for you, but you will need to have it reach all the way to the edges of the bottom of the pan and come up along the sides, just a little bit. Then bake for about 20 minutes. When you take it out, let it cool about 5 minutes before adding the curd.

 


Now...the yummy curd!!! This is going to seem like a lot, but it is sooooooo worth it.

In a large mixing bowl (I clean out my stand mixer and use this again with the whisk attachment) add 6 large eggs, 3 cups of sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, 6 tablespoons of lemon juice, 6 tablespoons of flour, the zest of one lemon, a good pinch of salt (again, Fleur de Sal if you have it). Beat that sucker into submission, na really, it just needs a couple of minutes of mixing. Once it looks like you want to slurp it down, you know it's ready. Pour it onto your crust and bake for 30 minutes.

 


When you take it out, it will be jiggly still, that's ok. Let it sit out and cool down for about an hour, then put it in the fridge for at least four hours, overnight is better. You want it to completely set and gel out. When it is ready, you can pull it out using the "parchment handles" and use a good large knife, I use an 8 inch chef's knife, to cut into pieces. Top with powdered sugar to your heart's content and stuff them into your mouth as quickly as possible before anyone else realizes they are done.




Enjoy!


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Girl, you know someone would try to make this healthier. Sometimes you have to let a dessert be a dessert. Just enjoy it...in moderation if need be. LOL

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Return, Tradition, and Family

Cooking Day 1: The Beginning & Farfalle Alfredo with Breaded Chicken

Cooking Day 10: Meat and Taters