Cooking Day 12: Crack Chicken

This is something I found when scrolling through Pinterest. I thought it was interesting, but it was a very long time before I decided to try it. When I did, boy oh boy did my boys go nuts for this dish. It is a pretty simple dish and if you look on Pinterest, there are many different ways to serve it. This dish is cooked in a slow cooker. We started ours at about 11:30 and it was ready to eat at about 5:30.

We started by putting a slow cooker bag in the slow cooker. Do y'all know about these? They are my favorite thing, next to parchment paper. Though usually, they rip just a bit, there is much less cleaning of the slow cooker than if you let the food cook straight onto it.



Into the slow cooker bag we put 5 frozen chicken breasts. I have found that using frozen chicken works best. Using frozen chicken adds a bit of liquid as it cooks to make the dish a little more saucy and not dry. To this frozen chicken I also add one block of cream cheese, salt, pepper and a packet of ranch dressing seasoning. Put the slow cooker on high and let it cook.



Check it about 3 hours through and give it a rough little shred. It will not be ready yet so cover it back up and let it cook for another 2 1/2 hours. When you check it again, it should be pretty well cooked. Shred the chicken again, mix it in the creaminess and then top with a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Let it cook another 30 minutes and then you are ready to eat.




As I said above, there are different ways to serve this. Usually, I would put these on hamburger buns and top them with pickles. This is how Aidan and Tony ate them tonight, sans pickles.



Usually, I would eat this on buns, but tonight I needed to use some avocados that should have been used yesterday. So instead, I smashed some avocado, added diced onion, lime juice, and salt. To me, this is not guacamole. Guacamole has a lot more in it, this is smashed avocado. So, to make our plates I layed down a layer of tortilla chips, put some of the shredded chicken on top, then a sprinkle of shredded cheese and then added my smashed avocado.



I hate to admit when Wes is right, but it was good. Don't tell him I said that. Just FYI I have seen some recipes on Pinterest make this into a pasta...I don't know I am ready to try that yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Return, Tradition, and Family

Cooking Day 1: The Beginning & Farfalle Alfredo with Breaded Chicken

Cooking Day 10: Meat and Taters