Cooking Day 14: Bleu Cheese Alfredo and Steak

Ok, so, I love steak. It is in the top three things I love to eat. I mean, I am Texan, I love beef, but not all beef is steak. In my freezer, there was a package of sliced beef for stirfry. You know that package that is in the meat section at H.E.B. It is not the best cut of meat, but it is good for things like stirfry. Well, it wasn't too bad in tonight's dish either.

I didn't want it to go bad and so I was thinking and thinking..."What could I do with this that is not stirfry?" I didn't have any of the vegetables for stirfry. So I asked Tony what he thought about doing "Steak" Bleu Cheese Alfredo. He was sold instantly.

Tony started by taking the stirfry strips and marinating them in some lemon juice, salt, pepper, and blackening seasoning. Then he started the pasta pot with salted water and waited for it to boil. After an hour we cooked the meat in butter and olive oil. until it was just done. Not overdone, just about 15 minutes. Then we took out the meat of the pan, turned off the heat, and waited until the water was at a rolling boil. I don't know what it is, but my pasta pot, it takes forever to get to a boil. I don't know if it is just poorly insulated, or if it is because of the stainless steel pasta insert, but it takes a while.



So once the water was boiling, we dropped a pound of penne and turned the heat back on the pan we cooked the meat in. We added about 2 tablespoons of butter and a 1/4 cup of chopped sweet onions. We let that sweat down just a bit until barely translucent, then we added about 3 cups (shhhhhhhh...don't tell anyone) of heavy whipping cream one cup at a time. We poured one cup then whisked it and let it reduce a bit, then another, then again. Once all the cream was added, we added half a block of cream cheese (I had it leftover from pancakes and didn't want to let it go to waste), a cup of parmesan and a 1/4 cup of bleu cheese, added salt and pepper, and let it reduce one more time. We added in the steak and let it continue to simmer on low until the pasta was al dente (about 10-12 minutes). Toss in the pasta and coat it and let it simmer for just a bit until all the pasta is coated.



We were going to make bread to go with this, but my 10-year-old Kitchenaid was acting up. Y'all...I think it might be ready. I don't wanna think about that right now. :(

We bought some of the asiago bread from the H.E.B. bakery and toasted half of the loaf in the oven along with more grape tomatoes tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper at 375 degrees for about 7 minutes. You now know how much I love topping things with roasted tomatoes.

That was it. I didn't even tell Wes and Aidan that it was blue cheese until after dinner. They loved it and had no clue. See...try things in a different way...you never know what you will end up liking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Return, Tradition, and Family

Cooking Day 1: The Beginning & Farfalle Alfredo with Breaded Chicken

Cooking Day 10: Meat and Taters